According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to contact Lakeside Heating & Air in Chelan and Wenatchee about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Lakeside Heating & Air. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Examining your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
More ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and switch them out when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Chelan and Wenatchee home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Lakeside Heating & Air at 509-284-4265 or schedule an appointment online.